At Linthwaite House Hotel we recognise our responsibility to manage the environmental impacts of our activities, products and services.
So what have we done so far?
- We’ve stopped having bonfires and now pack cardboard for recycling.
- We recycle printer cartridges, all our bottles and print on recycled paper.
- We use local Cumbrian and organic suppliers wherever we can to reduce air-miles.
- We are increasing the use of energy efficient bulbs throughout the hotel.
- We installed a new energy efficient boiler in 2007 costing £150,000.
- We burn only the wood from our grounds for our welcoming log fires!
- We provide newspapers only to those who ask, reducing waste.
- Our new vehicles are more economical (we even have a smart car in our midst!)
So what can you do?
- Reduce washing by putting finished towels in the bathtub, if left on the towel rail, we will re-fold them.
- Chill out-turn the heating down, especially if you open the windows.
- Get unplugged – don’t leave the TV on stand-by (we waste the equivalent of 2 power stations’ worth of electricity each year by leaving TV sets on standby!), unplug your laptop and mobile and get away from it all!
- Lights out – Turn the master switch off when you leave the room, this turns of ALL the lights.
- Control your water usage and the Lakes’ will love you!
- Controversial maybe, but why not leave the car behind? Walk or cycle instead (we are in the Lake District after all!).
So what’s our plan for the future?
- To carry out annual reviews of our progress.
- Gradual replacement of windows in the hotel.
- To replace all of our boilers with energy efficient new ones.
- Create a nature trail throughout the grounds.
- Design map and leaflet for guests of the grounds showing seasonal flora and fauna.
- To involve our staff and guests more in our green policy!